The Trocadero Elephant & Castle, 1930 - 1963
The 3500 seat cinema was designed by George Coles, built by Hyams & Gale Kinemas and opened on 22nd December 1930. Apart from the film programme, the opening featured Van Dam and his orchestra and Quentin Maclean at the mighty Wurlitzer pipe organ. The Trocadero was elaborately decorated in renaissance style and lavishly equipped; the Wurlitzer was the largest imported into the UK with a 4 manual console and 21 ranks of pipes. Not surprisingly, the Trocadero was considered one of the finest super cinemas in the United Kingdom.
In 1960, it was announced that the Trocadero would close. The organ was purchased by the Cinema Organ Society and removed by February 1961; the theatre closed on 19th October 1963 and demolished.
The Troxy, Stepney, 1933
The 3520 seat cinema opened on 11th September 1933. Like the Trocadero, it was designed by George Coles for Hyams & Gale Kinemas and was lavishly equipped. The interior however was designed in the Art Deco style. The theatre opened with the film 'King Kong' and Bobby Pagan at the 3 manual 10 rank Wurlitzer pipe organ.
The theatre closed in 1960 and the organ was sold and split up for parts. The building was converted into the London Opera Centre in 1963; in 1990 it was converted to Bingo and operated by Mecca. In 2006 it underwent refurbishment and restoration work and re-opened as the 'Troxy', a music, entertainments and conference venue.
© Clements & Porter. Architects